maandag 3 april 2017

assignment 11

The use of “black humour”

1:
I mean, like in many cultures, men were viewed as warriors and women were viewed as caregivers.
But gay people, being both male and female, were seen as both warriors and caregivers.
Gay people could do anything. They were like Swiss Army knives!
(red versus white)

2:
They stared at me, the Indian boy with the black eye and swollen nose, my going-away gifts from
Rowdy. Those white kids couldn’t believe their eyes. They stared at me like I was Bigfoot or a UFO.
What was I doing at Reardan, whose mascot was an Indian, thereby making me the only other Indian
in town?
(How to flight monsters)

The quest for cultural identity

1:
I don’t want to fight anybody,” I said.
“You’ve been fighting since you were born,” he said. “You fought off that brain surgery. You fought
off those seizures. You fought off all the drunks and drug addicts. You kept your hope. And now, you
have to take your hope and go somewhere where other people have hope.”
I was starting to understand. He was a math teacher. I had to add my hope to somebody else’s hope.
I had to multiply hope by hope.
“Where is hope?” I asked. “Who has hope?”
“Son,” Mr. P said. “You’re going to find more and more hope the farther and farther you walk away
from this sad, sad, sad reservation.”

2:
But there were no other people named Junior in Reardan, so I was being laughed at because I was
the only one who had that silly name.
And then I felt smaller because the teacher was taking roll and he called out my name name.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten